Click here to download the Neighbourhood Chaplains brochure
Welcome to Neighbourhood Chaplains
Neighbourhood Chaplains (NC) is a uniformed community task-force which goes out from scheme member churches around the UK. Volunteers offer about 2 hours per week. They work in 3 teams: (1) meeting
(2) befriending and
(3) as ‘helping hands’ to serve as good neighbours in their communities. NC is there to help everyone, not only those with a Christian faith. Not just a social justice programme, NC offers practical help twinned with evangelism, giving the choice (for those who want to) to meet a Christian, explore their spiritual questions, and access the church or other signposted charities, because we believe that loneliness isn’t just physical, it’s spiritual.
NC member churches sign up to a ‘level one’ training day (a full day on a Saturday) and receive a Handbook and Workbooks for each trainee. After the training day the local teams work together with a Local Organiser who is the designated leader from the local church or group of churches. The Local Organiser becomes the contact point between Counties and their scheme: to order uniforms; for support writing their Policies and Procedures; to investigate ‘level two’ training; and to order our free resources such as books, giveaway leaflets etc. from Counties office.
There's also a ‘members only’ section of our website with a growing library of resources and ideas for organisers to share. Membership of this network opens a wide range of experts, for example our 8 regional trainers, for church leaders to approach with questions or concerns about doing community work and outreach evangelism safely and appropriately.
The scheme begins with a three part Training Day, led by our practitioners, where volunteers will learn about: Biblical models for mission; understanding the Gospel; listening skills; how people come to faith; how to share faith confidently and appropriately; pastoral care; safe practice; signposting and more. It also includes a ‘toolkit’ for churches, giving ideas for writing your own policies and procedures; further learning materials, and protocols for the scheme.
Why should my church get involved?
The Bible encourages us to go out and visit people in the local community (eg. Luke 10:1-24), whilst the media tells us there is a loneliness epidemic in society today. Neighbourhood Chaplains offers a model of ministry which helps churches meet a recognised need. It’s an opportunity to meet practical, spiritual and emotional needs in local neighbourhoods.
- Build strong and lasting links with members of your local community
- Strengthen your relationships with others by working together
- Give training and support to your volunteers
- A cost-effective resource which can be used flexibly in different contexts
If you would like to register a team (minimum of 3 people), please get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more, or use the links above to download our Brochure and Frequently Asked Questions.
The Neighbourhood Chaplains team.